My experience with Verizon Fios approved or compatible router was horrible; after buying the router, which I bought last year, didn’t work with my ISP – Verizon FioS. In the starting of the year 2022, I end up with finding the best gigabit router for Verizon FiOS.
Before I said anything, one thing is clear here – you are tired paying extra fee for, a service provider Verizon Fios, a router which is outdated, ugly, and may not be the best in terms of performance, features, and compatibility. However, if you’re reading this article, meaning that you are planning to buy the best Verizon fios routers for 2022 right? Your decision about buying your own router than renting one is 1000% right. But, what would be an ideal fios router for you?
Don’t worry! As I said earlier, I made the mistake in 2018 while purchasing one. In other words, you can say that I have more than one year of experience with routers. However, I have 16 years of experience in networking devices, whether it is a wired router, gaming cable modems, home Firewall, or wireless router. So, you can trust me without any second thought as I’ve tried around 25 fios approved routers so far.
If you don’t have much time to read this entire article, then you can go with my recommended router, or you can check my top five picks here.
So, what is the best router for Verizon fios In 2022? The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 is the perfect Verizon fios compatible router. It is Amazon Alexa compatible and comes with a powerful dual-core processor. Plus, three external antennas with beamforming + technology ensure a faster, reliable, and strong connection between devices.
Note: Before you buy any router, make sure you have fios modem installed so that you can connect it with any of the routers on this list.
A Quick Guide: In this guide, I will share four essential features that you have to consider before you buy. However, there are so many key factors to consider, but I’ve made it simple for you. So, now, only four factors you need to keep in mind.
The Quick Guide: Verizon Fios Compatible Routers
I’ll try to keep it short because of being boring, meaning it is going to be a straightforward and point-to-point guide. Moreover, at the bottom of this article, you will find a complete detailed guide.
1. WiFi Standards:
The WiFi standards decide your router’s Speed and Frequency. The latest the WiFi standard, the fastest the router. In other words, make sure your router is packed with the latest wifi standard, which is 802.11ac. This AC standard ensures faster WiFi speeds of up to 5.4Gbps. That is why all the routers on my list are 802.11ac standard supported.
Verdict: You should buy the 802.11ac WiFi standard router.
2. MU-MIMO & Beamforming:
The second thing you should keep in mind is two advanced technologies: MU-MIMO and Beamforming.
This technology allows you to connect multiple devices at the same time, meaning a faster and stronger WiFi connection on all connected devices. However, MU-MIMO supported routers are expensive. That is why I included only one router on my list that comes with MU-MIMO technology. So, you can go for TP-Link Archer C2300 if your budget allows.
Verdict: If your router comes with MU-MIMO technology, that would be a great plus.
The Beamforming technology allows your Router to transmit radio signal in the direction of the connected devices, resulting in, a more reliable, stronger, and faster wireless communication between them. Somewhat the MU-MIMO is optional, but the beamforming technology is a must needed technology.
Verdict: Make sure your router Beamforming technology supported.
Your router can be single-band, dual-band, or tri-band. These WiFi bands transmit different standard frequency ranges. The single-band router can only transmit or support only 2.4Ghz frequency channel, while the dual-band offers 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. Whereas, the tri-band router has three frequency channels, one 2.4Ghz, and two 5Ghz channels. Just like MU-MIMO technology, tri-band routers are expensive. So, let’s stick to the dual-band router.
Verdict: Make sure you have a dual-band router.
Your router comes with various ports such as fast Ethernet, Gigabit, and USB ports. The only difference between fast Ethernet and Gigabit ports is their speed. The fast Ethernet port offers up to 100 Mbps speed, while the Gigabit port offer 1 Gbps. In other words, Gigabit ports are ten times faster than ethernet ports. If we talk about USB ports, it allows you to connect any storage devices, printer, or any other USB compatible device.
Verdict: Make sure your router comes with Gigabit ports and USB ports.
So, these are the only four factors which decide whether a router is good or bad in terms of its overall performance.
You don’t need to worry about these features; just go with my recommended routers as they support all the features I mentioned above.
5 Best Routers For Verizon Fios In 2022
|Compatible Router||Best For||Rating|
|1. TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 (Archer AX50)||Best WIFI 6 for Verizon Fios||4.9|
|2. ASUS Wi-Fi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)||Cost Effective||4.9|
|3. Nighthawk AC1900 R7000||Overall Best||4.8|
|4. Asus RT-AC68U AC1900||Verizon Long Range Router||4.8|
|5. TP-Link Archer C2300||Verizon Gaming Router||4.8|
1. TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Smart Wi-Fi Router (Archer AX50)
- Wi-Fi 6, 802.11ax technology with 3x faster network speeds
- Next-gen dual-band router with total combined speeds of up to 3 Gaps
- Connects multiple devices simultaneously for efficient communication
- Preserves battery life in all devices on the network
Archer AX50 deserves the top position as the best router for Verizon Fios in 2022. It offers a powerful connection, and with its Beamforming technology, this device allows multiple simultaneous connections while ensuring that the Wi-Fi connection remains steadily stronger.
AX3000 Smart Router utilizes the Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax technology standard that’s almost 3x faster than its predecessor. With its dual-core CPU, the router ensures that you get a smooth and lag-free performance.
Its 4-stream dual-band design makes it possible for this next-gen router to attain maximum speeds of up to 3 Gaps. This means that you can use it for faster streaming thanks to the 2 GHz band that delivers 574 Mbps and the 5 GHz band that delivers 2402 Mbps.
Overall, AX300 doesn’t slow down regardless of the number of devices in the system. It offers buffer-free connection in all devices and applications. So, whether you want to play games online, stream 4K videos, or video chat, you can rely on it.
What I like & What I don’t:
- Affordable with high performance
- Great malware protection with stronger parental controls
- Solid performance with high throughput
- Average file-transfer performance
- It doesn’t support 160 MHz channels
TP-Link Archer AX5O is a faster network router with the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology. It offers a buffer-free connection, and its revolutionary OFDMA technology allows you to connect more devices simultaneously. It’s ideal for gaming, streaming for 4K content, and download files.
2. ASUS Wi-Fi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)
- Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 technology standard that’s 3X faster
- OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology for simultaneous and faster device connection
- Powerful AiMesh system that ensures seamless and even network connectivity
- AiProtection Pro Commercial-Grade security with advanced parental controls
- Mobile application support for ease of use and better control
RT-AX3000 is a compatible router for Verizon Fios that comes with a dual-band design. The device boasts of a powerful 2.4 GHz band that boasts of speeds of up to 575 Mbps and a 5 GHz band that boasts of speeds of up to 2402 Mbps.
The ultra-fast router supports a network bandwidth of 160 MHz. With its next-gen Wi-Fi 6 technology, it can effectively provide 3X faster internet speeds than the previous generation of routers.
ASUS RT-AX3000 not only ensures that you connect to high internet speeds but also caters to your internet security. It comes with a commercial-grade type of network security that makes it ideal for family use. With its AiProtection Pro, you can rely on this router to protect you against malicious attacks. Besides, it also comes with greater parental controls.
What I like and What I don’t:
- Seamless and lag-free internet coverage
- Offers protection to all users in the network
- Provides mobile application support
- Completely fixed antennas
- Sometimes faces stability issues
- Has one USB port only
It’s a cost-effective and powerful router for Verizon Fios that offers stronger Wi-Fi coverage. ASUS RT-3000 is almost 3X faster than the previous generation of routers, and it offers seamless network coverage with its AiMesh technology.
3. Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 – Best Overall Router For Verizon FIOS
- WiFi Standard: 802.11ac
- Beamforming+ supported
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 1x USB 2.0 + 1x USB 3.0 ports
- A Dual-band router
- Verizon Fios compatible
The Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 deserves the first position on our list. I have used this router for a long, and I didn’t find issues with connectivity and compatibility with Verizon fios. It has a lot more to offer and comes under budget. So, this overall best router you can go for.
The Nighthawk AC1900 is a dual-band router. It is equipped with a powerful 1Ghz dual-core processor and Beamforming+ technology, which allow multiple connections simultaneously while keeping the WiFi connection stronger and reliable on the connected devices. Moreover, it is compatible with Amazon Alexa, meaning you can control the home network with your voice. It also comes with the OpenVPN connect app, which lets you access your network remotely.
Pros & Cons:
- The Dynamic QoS feature takes your gaming and video streaming experience to the next level.
- Improved range and performance because of Beamforming+ technology.
- We get fantastic WiFi speeds up to 1900Mbps using both bands (600Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps @ 5GHz).
- The Nighthawk app provides remote access, parental control, speed test, and easy setup.
- The Circle app allows network management so that you can set filters for each family member.
I don’t like:
- Reboot and startup are a bit slow.
When it comes with compatibility with Verizon fios, this router works fine. However, it is neither a tri-band router nor MU-MIMO technology supported. For that, you can buy its big brother the Netgear Nighthawk X4s and spend a little more money. My suggestions to you is that choose as per your needs or requirements as both routers are useful if the price is concerned.
Related: Best Wi-Fi Routers under $100
4. Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 – Best Long-Range Router For Verizon Fios
- WiFi Standard: 802.11ac
- Beamforming supported
- A Dual-band router
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
The second router on our list is the ASUS RT-AC68U. It is cheaper than the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. There are some minimal differences between these two routers, but somewhat the R7000 is a bit better. However, when it comes to the security of the router, this router is unbeatable as it comes with AiProtection powered by Trend Micro.
The ASUS RT-AC68U is a whole home dual-band AiMesh WiFi router. It boasts a powerful 1GHz dual-core processor, which makes multitasking easy. Multiple wired connections are possible as it comes with four Gigabit Ethernet LANs ports, which are ten times faster than fast Ethernet ports. It also features one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port so that you can connect your storage devices and printer to it.
Pros & Cons:
- With the ASUSWRT graphical interface, the router can be set up within 30 seconds.
- It can deliver maximum WiFi speeds of up to 1900Mbps with TurboQAM acceleration.
- AiProtection is a top-notch feature powered by Trend Micro.
- The ASUS AiMesh feature lets you create a mesh network by connecting multiple ASUS routers.
- The 3-step web-based installation is possible with the ASUSWRT user interface.
- Excellent WiFi coverage and range even for large homes.
I don’t like:
- You can turn off the cave’s blue LEDs.
Now if we talk about compatibility with Verizon fios, this router would be perfect for you. However, it is not a tri-band router, yet capable of handling multiple devices without any problem. If I compared to R7000, its setup is quite effortless and straightforward. So, this is my second pick for Verizon fios compatible router.
5. TP-Link AC2300 Archer C2300 – Best MU-MIMO Router For Verizon Fios
- WiFi Standard: 802.11ac
- Speed: Up to 2.3Ghz
- MU-MIMO & Beamforming Compatible
- Built-In VPN
- A Dual-Band Router
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 1x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0
The third router for Verizon Fios is Tp-Link Archer C2300. This is the only router which supports MU-MIMO technology and a very popular router from Tp-Link. Plus, it is cheaper if compared to Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U.
The Tp-Link Archer C2300 is a dual-band router and equipped with a robust 18Ghz dual-core processor. Without any problem, it can take care of multiple devices at once. In addition, it also packed with MU-MIMO and Beamforming technologies, which ensure a better performance while playing 4k videos & games, streaming, or any heavy-duty tasks on every connected device.
Pros & Cons:
- In-built VPN server, we can set up a person or private VPN server, meaning no need to pay extra money on any VPN subscriptions.
- It is packed with range amplifies, which has the ability to receive and detect WiFi signals from devices that are far away from it.
- The Archer C2300 is MU-MIMO and Beamforming supported, where MIMO ensures multiple devices at once, while beamforming focuses the signals to the connected devices.
- Link Aggregation is possible after a combination of two of the four LAN ports, meaning double connection speeds from 1Gbps to 2Gbps.
- It also allows multiple operation modes such as bridge mode, Access point, and wireless router.
I don’t like:
- Its interface can be improved.
Despite being cheaper, The Archer C2300 offers some excellent features which we can only expect from high-end routers. That is why I have to include this router on my list.
If the compatibility with Verizon Fios is concerned, This router won’t take your much time. For that, however, you will have to set it to the bridge mode. You can read more about how we set a router up with any Verizon fios modem in details below.
Is Buying Verizon Fios Router A Good Idea – Benefits?
There are many benefits if you buy any Verizon router. However, the following three are more beneficial out of them.
1. Rental Fee:
No doubt! It is the biggest advantage of buying any Verizon fios router. You can save money every month by spending on an outdated router offered by Verizon.
If your home is big or large, then this point means a lot to you. When it comes to coverage or range, you have to think of something that can cover your whole home, right? But, you end up with a few options – Wireless Access points, a Mesh network, or a long range router. All three options are good. It depends on the size of your home, so choose accordingly.
In that case, you can go with my recommended router the Asus RT-AC68U AC1900. It has extended coverage, plus you can use it as an access point. Moreover, it also offers AiMesh feature, which lets you create a Mesh network.
3. Control On Own Router:
If you have your own router than renting one, then you are likely to have more control over your home network. Resulting in, more secured and more reliable connection.
How Do You Make Connection Between A Fios Modem And Verizon Compatible Router?
After the installation process, you will be able to connect your modem to any Verizon compatible router. However, this is all modem’s side process. Now, you also have to set your router to bridge mode in order to connect it to the modem.
How Easily You Can Set the Verizon Router To Bridge Mode.
Whether it is existing fios router replacement or connection to current fios modem, you have to add a new Verizon router to your network. However, it is only possible if you set your router to the bridge mode.
The process of bridge mode is simple but varies with each router. Therefore it is better off you to check the official website of Verizon (Verizon DSL USERS) so that you can use your router in bridge mode.
If you are using Fiber, then read this article about how to bridge your router.
How To Set Up Your Verizon Fios Router?
Setting up a Verizon router is not as easy as other ISPs. However, I made it easy if you follow my two steps. It is not a Verizon problem; actually, all the bundled service providers’ router setup is tricky. Don’t worry! Here I’ll be setting up a router within minutes.
Step 1: When we replace Verizon’s Actiontec router replace Verizon’s Actiontec router
1. First off, make sure that you’re using Ethernet port, not coax. Let’s understand both types and how they look like.
a. Coax Wan: It looks like a typical TV type cable, and also check the image below.
b. Ethernet Wan: Check the following image for better understanding. You can use CAT5, CAT6, or the latest one CAT7. The CAT7 is quite faster if compared to CAT6, CAT5, and older ones.
Still, if you’re having a problem in finding what connection you have, then it’s better to check the connection menu.
3. Turn off your router if it is on. Now, Make an Ethernet connection between Actiontec’s Ethernet ports and ONT.
4. Now, login into your router and release DHCP lease.
5. It times to call up Verizon’s tech team and let them know that you want to change the ONT from Coax to Ethernet. In this case, they might ask you about the cable, so don’t hesitate to tell them. After that, you have to confirm that the change has taken place.
5. After the changes, you can turn the router on. Make sure that the Ethernet WAN light is on.
6. Now you can check your internet connection. Everything would be working fine if you followed all the steps correctly.
Step 2: When you replace Verizon’s Actiontec router with your own new router.
1. Just like method 1, you need to release the DHCP lease from your existing Actiontec router and write down its MAC address, which we will use later.
2. Now turn the router off, and you can also remove plugs if needed.
3. It’s time to remove the Ethernet cable from the Actiontec router and plug it into your new router’s WAN port.
4. Turn the router on, now you will get an IP address, if not, then repeat everything you did before this step.
5. Now make sure your router has proper DHCP lease, if yes, you should the default login password and name. (It is important when security is concerned).
6. You’re done! Have a nice day and enjoy your Verizon Fios Internet.
FAQs: People often ask about Verizon Fios ISP
Unfortunately, you can’t use your modem with Verizon Fios ISP. Since Verizon Fios never uses any modem, it has a different type of connection called coax. It’s a connection between the coax and the ONT. Moreover, it uses MoCA, quite a different device than a modem.
No, Verizon Fios doesn’t require any particular type of Wi-Fi router. Almost all modern Wi-Fi routers are compatible with Verizon Fios. In this guide, I’ve included the top five Verizon Routers capable of handling its fast fiber internet.
Of course, you can. As long as your router is compatible with Verizon Fios, you can replace the existing one with your standalone router. Check out the guide giving instructions about installing your own router.
Depending on the model and the brand, it might range from $50 to $500. Check out the list of top Fios router picks mentioned in this guide for an idea.
As I said, Most of the Wireless routers are compatible with Verizon Fios ISP. But, when it comes to the best router for Verizon Fios, it becomes a daunting task since so many different routers are available on the market. However, The guide, which I’ve shared with you, is a complete guide which will help you in finding your perfect Verizon Fios router. Plus, I’ve also recommended my top five picks for you.
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is overall best whether it is the performance of the router or price. It comes with some top-notch features which we only expect from expensive routers. It would be an excellent option for home or apartment users.
If your main concern is long range, then the Asus RT-AC68U will be ideal for you. I used this router for several years, and believe me; I didn’t have any issues with its performance and compatibility with Verison fios modem/router.
The third router from Tp-Link Archer C2300 is also an excellent router in terms of performance, features, and especially price. The only router on our list that supports MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology at a very low price. So, it can be a budget-friendly yet powerful option for Verizon Fios.
I hope that I’ve covered everything in this article, still, if you think something is missing or can be added, then please let me know so that I can make this article more helpful for people who are looking for a Verizon compatible router. For that, Please comment below. Thank you!